A new school can be very confusing. We are here to help. If you don’t find what you need, the best place to get information is with our Secretary/Registrar, Shannon_m_Spillett@dekalbschoolsga.org
To start school, you need to take a few steps:
- Make sure your child is properly enrolled.
- Confirm your child’s registration.
- Connect with parents and staff at Sagamore Hills Elementary School and stay informed.
- Learn more about the school.
Where and When:
During the school year: Hours of operation 7:45 am-2:30 pm. Contact the registrar Shannon Spillett @ 678-874-7502 with questions.
Summer Registration Hours: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 9:00 am-1:00 pm. The school is closed on Fridays in the summer.
- Is my child enrolled?
There are 3 steps: First, enrolling your child in the county’s ‘system’ to get a student ID, second, registering your child at Sagamore, and third, confirming registration every August.
Note: Registration has to be completed by the parent or legal guardian. It cannot be done by a relative unless they have legal custody.
What do you need to do? Here are the questions to ask:
If you are new to DeKalb County School District (DCSD) you need to enroll your child in the system!
- Did you move here from a different country? Or are you new to DCSD and your child’s primary language is something other than English?
- If yes, you might need to enroll your child through the DeKalb International Welcome Center (please note that this is NOT the International Student Center). Call 678-676-6602 to learn more or to make an appointment. Click here for more information. Note: Get started early, your child may need to be tested even if they are bilingual, they cannot be assigned to teachers without the testing, and appointments fill up fast!
- Is your child coming from a school in a different state, county, or a private or home school?
- If yes, you need to enroll your child in DeKalb County School District (DCSD) using the online registration and then providing the required paperwork (for example, proof of residence, proof of age, school records, health records). Click here for more information about registration.
- Contact your current school about transferring records.
- Enrollment support centers are East DeKalb Center, 5831 Memorial Drive, Stone Mountain, GA 30083 or McNair High School, 1804 Bouldercrest Rd SE, Atlanta, GA 30316.
- Make sure your child has up-to-date health records:
- Form 3231 for immunizations and Form 3300 for vision, hearing, and dental/nutritional screening. Check with your doctor or contact a health clinicto learn more. Your child hasn’t had the screening and it’s the start of school? Your child can be provisionally enrolled for 30 days while you get everything completed. But they will be dis-enrolled if you do not turn it all in on time.
- If you are finished with enrollment, go to Step B.
If you are not new to Dekalb County School District (DCSD) and your child was at another DCSD school, but you need to register at Sagamore Hills:
- Is your child coming from a DCSD school and attended during the 2017-2018 school year? You can come in person to Sagamore Hills, fill out a registration packet. You will need to have a proof of residence and a picture ID. Proof of residence consists of a utility bill with your name and address on it, a lease, a deed or a complete affidavit if you are currently living with someone else and have no utility bills in your name. You will need to fill out a records request form to obtain records from your previous school.
- You are done with Step A! You do need to confirm registrationevery year. Go to Step B to find out more.
- How do I confirm my child’s registration?
- Every summer, you need to show the school a proof of residence to document that you are still living in the school attendance zone. This is sometimes called registration – but for enrolled students (those who are listed in the DCDS system, have a student ID, and are registered at Sagamore Hills ES) it’s just a confirmation/re-registration (but it’s still required). Note: you also complete forms to confirm your contact information, which is often done at the end of the previous school year or once school starts.
- Utility bills (gas, electric, water), lease, mortgage contracts are accepted. Phone or cable bills are insufficient!
- The best time to do this is during the Open House, typically held the Wednesday before school starts.
- If you miss Open House, bring your document to the front office and ask to see the registrar.
- Note – if you started the enrollment process in June or July, you still need to bring another proof in August.
- Go to Step C to learn more about getting started!
- How do I connect with Sagamore Hills, get my child started, and stay informed?
- Attend Open House and Registration Day, typically held the Wednesday before school starts from 2:00pm-4:00pm.
- Bring your proof of residence – all students, including returning students, should document that they are still living in the school attendance zone.
- Learn more about howOpen House works here
- Did you miss Open House and Registration Day? Don’t worry. You can still get the information you need, contact Administration@sagamorehillspta.org if you can’t find it on these pages.
- Join the PTA! (Parent-Teacher-Association)
- Become a member and enter your contact information so that you will receive the important information available only through the PTA and so that you can get connected with the parents of your child’s classmates. Note: The school cannot share information with the PTA, so be sure to sign up so you stay informed!
- Spend time in the school. The PTA will help you sign up to participate as a volunteer. You will find that connecting with other parents and teachers will help you find your way around much more quickly. Helping in the front office, being a room parent, or media center will really help you learn about the school. But there are many opportunities, even for busy parents. Whether you are new to volunteering or an experienced PTA member, we need you and will explain it all to you. Learn more about volunteering here.
- The Sagamore Hills Foundation is another, similar organization that supports the school financially in ways the PTA can’t. Learn more here.
- Even if you don’t formally join the PTA, you can stay informed! Sign up for the VERY important PTA electronic newsletter here. It is the main way that the school will keep you informed about upcoming events and opportunities for your child. Is your child not even at the school yet? Sign up now to learn about the school. Also:
- If any of your contact information changes, make sure the school has your updated contact information, including email and phone numbers. When there are important messages that all parents need to receive, the principal will send via the county’s email and automated phone messaging systems. (This is much less often than the electronic newsletter, so make sure you sign up for that!)
- You can also sign up for Principal Taylor’s text message system – used particularly for urgent updates related to weather, transportation, emergencies, etc. Text @h979g to 81010 or 678-367-4443. Or sign up via email at remind.comsend an email email@example.com. [Note: you need to sign up every year]
- If you are a Facebook user, join the Sagamore Hills Parents facebook pagefor parent-to-parent advice, reminders, and photo sharing.
- Ask your child’s teachers for their message system – many text via remind.com or have classdojo or similar message system. Check with teachers for details.
- Learn about the school!
- Read about procedures! The Sagamore Hills ES Handbook is here!
- Think about extra-curricular activities! It’s a great way for new students to meet and have fun while still learning and exploring new things. Sagamore Hills has a variety of clubs that meet after school. Please note that school sponsored clubs such as STEM Club, Robotics and Garden Club may have a number limit and/or an application process. Please read announcements carefully each Sunday night, as all information is shared through our electronic newsletter. Some are only offered seasonally, others are offered year-round. Contact the teacher sponsor of the club to get your child signed up. If they don’t respond, email them again!
- Outside Clubs such as Chiefs Soccer, Chess Club, Spanish Club and Art Club, Dance Class have outside registrations. Please look for flyers that go home in your child’s Parent Communication folder each Thursday for additional information from each vendor.